Head, Cell Engineering
About Clade Therapeutics
Clade Therapeutics is a well-funded, early-stage cell therapy company developing novel cell-based medicines for the treatment of cancer and other devastating diseases. The company, located in Kendall Square, was recently founded by an exceptional group of academic leaders and successful bioentrepreneurs. The Company works at the convergence of stem cell biology, immunology, regenerative medicine, and gene editing to create the next-generation of stem cell-derived medicines.
We are passionate about delivering on the promise of cellular therapy, shaping the future of cellular medicine, and delivering new therapies to millions of patients.
Clade seeks a highly motivated Molecular Biologist to lead our Cellular Engineering team in Cambridge, MA. The successful candidate will have exceptional expertise in molecular biology, including gene structure and function, genomic integration, genomic modification, transcription, RNA processing, gene synthesis, codon optimization and the generation of genetically engineered cells. This person will have distinct expertise in cell engineering (CRISPR, TALENs, Zinc fingers, mRNA) and genetically modified cells/molecular biology. The candidate should have a proven track record of scientific accomplishment, scientific leadership, and management experience.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this self-motivated individual will lead a team to design, genetically engineer and characterize induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) and differentiated novel immune cell therapies. Critical to success, is a deep understanding of genetic engineering and gene editing. This person will have demonstrated achievement of critical company milestones (i.e., DC nomination, IND filing, etc.). The leader will help to identify and develop strong relationships with internal team members and external collaborators to generate and characterize engineered cell therapies. This role will also be involved in external communication of the company’s significant scientific findings, so strong communication skills are key.
This person will have prior strategic and operational leadership experience in an emerging life sciences company that includes conceiving, implementing and fostering a robust scientific working environment. As the Company grows, there will be ample opportunity to have an increased strategic leadership role. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to contribute to bringing a new class of cellular therapies to patients.
- Conceive and design novel cell engineering strategies
- Lead the engineering team to perform experiments that genetically modify iPSCs to stably express exogenously designed and engineered constructs and/or delete gene expression for proof of concept (PoC) studies and to support the GMP manufacture of engineered cell lines.
- Recruit, hire, train, and mentor the engineering team.
- Skillfully lead and manage the work of our contract research organizations (CRO’s).
- Design and lead the development and execution of molecular assays evaluating the integrity and function of engineered iPSCs and derived cells.
- Contribute to the development of molecular assays; including complex analysis of genetically engineered products, on and off-target analysis, genomic integrity, gene expression analysis and functional assays for the characterization of engineered therapies.
- Demonstrate and promote strong scientific strategic thinking
- Communicate significant results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure high quality data is generated from internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the Head of Molecular Immunology to hire a highly functional lab team that enables the rapid execution of the group’s scientific goals.
- Collaborate, and contribute as needed, with colleagues in the Company’s efforts to secure IP resulting from research discoveries.
- Minimum of a PhD in Molecular / Cell Biology or a related discipline and at least 10 years of experience in cell engineering & gene therapy
- In-depth knowledge of the most current gene editing literature is required.
- Experience in molecular biology and genome editing (CRISPR/Cas9) in pluripotent stem cells is required.
- Scientific rigor, strong problem-solving and expert analytical skills are a must.
- Proficient in developing and validating molecular assays to characterize engineered cell products is required.
- Strong experience in generating genetically engineered cells and animals is required.
- Knowledge of gene editing technologies and associated molecular assays is required.
- Ability to work independently and within a cross-functional team in a results-oriented research environment.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Patients First – Proactively and constructively engage to deliver results for those in need. “Begin with patient’s success in mind”
- Communication and Respect – Foster open exchange with colleagues and collaborators. Seek to understand and treat people with courtesy. “Better together”
- Integrity & Excellence – Act honestly and ethically to seek the truth. Courageously doing the right thing – take smart risks and make tough decisions in pursuit of exceptional outcomes. “Get it done right”
Clade Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, gender, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law.